Monday 13 August 2012

I just found an awesome swim school (hopefully)

Today one of my friends took her son (Peanut) get assessed for autism and she has just messaged me to tell me that he met the criteria and is autistic or auesome as she said.

It really has bought up some memories and feelings about our diagnosis day as she has been heading towards theirs.

When Jellybean was diagnosed, I did not know any other parents with an autistic child, had not met another autistic child (or so I thought ) and was really and truly lost. I remember not knowing what to do next and really not knowing who to talk to. All of my friends have "normal" children and I really wanted to talk to people who had already been through all this and could tell me what to do. Unfortunately I did not have that support and my husband and I had to fumble our way through and make decisions hoping that they were the right ones to make and the right ones for Jellybean.

I generally am one of these people that dont like making decisions and hate change....prob am somewhere on the spectrum too lol.... but I am really happy with were we are now with a great school, support network of other parents and great therapists. I am really happy that Peanuts mum has that support group too, that she has people to ask for advice and to listen that have been through it all before. I am really happy that Peanut will finally get the help and support he needs and think he will do just amazingly!

On a positive note, i have managed to find a swimming school for Jellybean. He is downright dangerous around water, he just pindrops down and comes up laughing despite the fact he was drowning. So, anyways I have been wanting to get him into swimming lessons but havent been happy with everywhere I looked at. Whilst talking to mums at school, one mentioned this program and we start Friday. When I said he was non verbal, they said no problems we will get out the visual supports and compic!!!! Dont even have to make them myself  (insert happy dancing me).

                                                Jellybean at his first ever swimming lesson






We took him from the time he was really little and started lessons at 6months. At 2years when he had lots of ear infections and needed grommets we had to stop as he would not wear earplugs (damn sensory issues!!!!) but once they had fallen out after a year it had been way too long and he could not cope with indoor pools and freaked out. So hoping that he is okay on Friday...stay tuned :-

2 comments:

  1. oh =( I wrote a long msg last night and its not here any more . Poops I just said Thank you for all your support and sorry you didn't get the same when you were going through the DX. xxx and swimming lessons sound great Peanut starts monday off to give his teacher the visual aides today after speech therapy

    ReplyDelete
  2. ohhh shucks. thanks xxx good luck with swimming on monday! hope peanut and shrimples enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete